This morning I gave a guest lecture to students at the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Cloud Computing for Big Data. The subject was a gentle introduction to Docker.
This was the first guest lecture I've given for a couple of years so I thought I was a little rusty but I had a good time giving it and hopefully it went across OK.
I mentioned a couple of things worth linking to here
- I referenced the architecture diagrams at https://www.docker.com/what-docker
- the Docker Hub, https://hub.docker.com/
- most of my demos used the wildfly image https://hub.docker.com/r/jboss/wildfly/
- github issue describing the Steam "delete all your files" bug
- Research paper A Framework for Scientific Workflow Reproducibility in the Cloud (PDF available)
- my work-in-progress Ikiwiki-in-a-box Docker image
There was some discussion about alternatives to Docker, things which were briefly mentioned include